Re: [vox-tech] Redhat graphic login

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Redhat graphic login
  • From: William Kendrick <nbs@sonic.MAPSnet>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 14:55:41 -0700

> inittab is _always_ located in /etc.   that's too standardized to change.

I couldn't forget if on a RedHat box it was somewhere like
"/etc/init.d/" or something odd.  :)  My box at work's running Debian. ;)
(Reminds me, I should run my daily apt-get update :) ... maybe I should
make that a cron job...)

> don't have to be careful here.  you have to be careful when you edit
> inittab.  telinit is pretty intelligent.   observe:
>
>       # telinit oops i screwed up
>       Usage: telinit 0123456SsQqAaBbCcUu
>       #
>
> the worst that will happen is a reboot or (orderly) power off.

Good point.  For example, having a default inittab that's set to '6'
(reboot) or '0' (halt) is a BAD thing.  "I can't boot up!" :)

> you're all forgetting that xdm can be brought up in a runlevel other than 5.

That's true, but when you install RedHat and it says "DO you want X by
default?" it sets up 5.

On my Debian box here at work, I have X login by default, and my inittab
is -2-... <shrug>