Re: [vox-tech] Redhat graphic login

> First off, you can easily jump to one of the text login consoles by
> hitting [CTRL]+[ALT]+[Fn], where [Fn] is a Function key, [F1] through [F6].
> (By default, a normal Linux installation has 6 virtual text consoles).
> Use [F7] to get back to graphics.

BTW, when logging into a Unix- or Linux-box remotely (eg, telnet, SSH or
plain text modem dialup / NULL modem to a dumb terminal), you can do
something similar to this whole virtual console thing by running a very
nifty application called "screen".

It lets you open multiple shell log-ins, swap around between them,
cut and paste between them... I think even show multiple logins at
a time on one terminal.

One of the best things about it is you can 'detach' from screen, log out
of the Unix box, go somewhere else, log back into the Unix box, and
then _re_-attach to screen, and all of your sessions are happily sitting
there waiting for more input.

It's kind of like being at the office and having a conference call with
a bunch of people, then putting them on hold, driving home, and then
hooking BACK up to the same conference call from your phone at home. :)
(Odd analogy, but I think it's accurate ;) )

-bill!

(BTW - Anyone know if there's a way to do something like this with X? :) )