Re: [vox-tech] Gnome Terminal Question

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Gnome Terminal Question
  • From: Henry House <hajhoMAPSuse@houseag.com>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 19:58:12 -0700

On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 06:21:39PM -0700, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> I'm trying to get set up on the Linux machine at the Philosophy
> Department.  The Gnome terminal is just a tiny box with very small
> font.  Zach Johnson set my Gnome terminal at home (on a LERT call) so
> that it was larger and had a nice  sized font.  How do I do this?  None
> of the settings in the Gnome terminal itself allow these types of
> changes.  Zach did something else.  Can anybody explain what to do?

Right-click on gnome-terminal's window and you will get a menu that allows to
to set persistent settings (I think there is a 'save current settings'
button, that's the ticket for you). You can adjust the initial size of the
gnome-terminal using the --geometry switch when you start it (make a button
in the Gnome panel that invoked gnome-terminal with whatever switches
desired).

I recommend rxvt over gnome-terminal for its greater configurability--if you
are comfortable with X resources. Here are the rxvt-related extract from my
.Xdefault:

rxvt*font:              -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-*-140-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1
rxvt*foreground:        white
rxvt*background:        black
rxvt*color1:            coral
rxvt*color4:            #87CEFA
rxvt*color9:            red
rxvt*color12:           SkyBlue
rxvt*geometry:          140x64
rxvt*scrollBar:         off
rxvt*saveLines:         512
rxvt*visualBell:        on
rxvt*scrollTtyOutput:   off
rxvt*scrollTtyKeypress: on

These set the font, choose more-legible colors, size it to fill my big
screen, etc. You might need to explicitly load the resources into your X
server using 'xrdb .Xdefault' in your .xinitrc.

--
Henry House