Re: [vox-tech] gimp question

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] gimp question
  • From: William Kendrick <nbs@MAPSsonic.net>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 11:49:46 -0700

> ok, so i have this gif of the USA.  i'd like to cut out each state and save
> the state in a file, like texas.gif or something like that.
>
> i have the feeling this might not be as difficult as it sounds -- the states
> are all very different colors (texas is pink, oklahoma is green).
>
> how can i select an area based on color, and save only that selection?

Pick the magic wand tool.  Click the state to select it.  Hit
CTRL-I to invert the selection.  Hit CTRL-K to delete everything but
the state.  Hit CTRL-I to re-invert the selection again (the state is
once again selected).  Switch to the crop tool and click "From Selection"
in the window that pops up.  Crop!  Save-As.  All done!