Re: [vox-tech] anyone know what these kernel messages mean?

On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 03:10:05PM -0700, Micah Cowan wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 02:04:34PM -0700, Ricardo Anguiano wrote:
> >
> > geektools.com whois says address 207.215.71.255 is owned by pacbell and
> > mother.com.
> >
> > port 137 is Netbios name service.  255 is a broadcast address.  someone
> > is looking for a netbios name resolver.
> >
> > -Ricardo
> >

> I'd say definitely firewall log then.

Yes, I am running a couple of firewall rules that block UDP packets and log
them. But normally they appear in syslog, not on every open console.

> It's common script-kiddy knowledge that you can easily crash a 'doze
> machine by putting garbage into 137.  They can also snoop your network
> (duh).

Which would explain why my kernel considered these high-priority? Because
they were malformed? As for the second message, does that appear to you
experts to be related to the first? It means nothing to me.

Btw, I should mention that I've had a lot of trouble with misconfigured Win32
machines on mother.com's LAN (mostly cohosting customers' servers) sending
individual packets to 137/udp but this is the worst it's ever been (I had
over 600Mb of logfiles in just twelve hours!). And what I really want to know
was why did my kernel have thhe impertinence to write the logmessages to
every console? It made the machine almost unusable!

--
Henry House