Re: [vox-tech] rsh and PVM3

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> eric, try putting the nodes in the front end's hosts.equiv.
>
> ok, you all can stop having a heart attack now....
>
> pete

Yes, .rhost is a hanger on from my SunOS days. The message output helped
throw me. The hosts.equiv file functions, but has to be in each slave node's
/etc directory, not on the "master" or "front end" (each machine controls its
own r access).

Also, pvm can be implemented with ssh, but that would be really paranoid with
my set up. A cluster is DESIGNED to be completely open between the nodes. My
test cluster also sits behind two firewalls.

Good news: Bill Pearson of UVA has both MPI and PVM implementations of FASTA,
a DNA homolgy searching tool. It is open source, too! So the plan is to get
FASTA up with PVM (maybe MPI too) and compare performance against BLAST
(another open source homol. tool) running on a MOSIX kernel.

Are there any other gene jockies on the tech list?

--
Eric K. Engelhard