January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] minor success with dvd

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] minor success with dvd
  • From: Ted Deppner <tedMAPS@psyber.com>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 22:50:57 -0700

On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 06:36:08PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> so now i've seen my first dvd on linux.   now it's time to rtfm and figure
> out how to watch the movie and get sound.  :)

You know, this is a grey area, and at present illegal.  I enjoy my DVD's
on many dvd players, but I don't shout about it in public.

District Attorneys can prosecute any crime they wish assuming it was
commited in their jurisdiction, or against someone in their jurisdiction.

DA's are severe loose cannons who *can* make your life miserable.  You
certainly do not want to advertise on public forums that you're involved
in grey legal areas.

The Sacramento High Tech Crimes Task Force is peopled with a veritable
plethora of crime fighting wanna-be-techies such that you *do*not*want*
them to become involved in your life.  They have cooperative alliances
with most departments throughout the local area, including the FBI... they
have a long reach.

Yes, I have personal experience in this matter.  A word to the wise is
sufficient.

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.psyber.com/~ted/