[vox-tech] Brand New Install

  • Subject: [vox-tech] Brand New Install
  • From: Patrick Lickiss <pblickiss@ucdaviMAPSs.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 11:13:36 -0700

Hey everyone, I apologize in advance for the length of this e-mail. I
signed up for the IF a little too late, so I'm going to brave the perils
of installing Linux alone :)  About a week ago I tried to get RedHat 6.0
(the only distro I have a copy of sitting around) installed, and after
some messing around I finally got it working.  One small problem, whenever
I load X-Windows, it stays stuck at some weird resolution where I can only
see the upper left hand corner of the screen.  Now when I run the
Xconfigurator and/or edit XF86Config, it shows me a whole list of
different resolutions that are available to me.  However, when I use
Ctrl-Alt-+, nothing happens.  I have a Diamond  Viper 770 based on the
TNT2 chip.  This is the card that shows up when X probes it, but there's
no special server for it.  I'm not certain, but I think I remember that
when I had RH6.2 installed there was one.  If not for the TNT2, for the
TNT which seemed to work just fine.  Any ideas?  Also, the UCD PPP How-To,
which appears to have been hosted by Pete on his old physics page, no
longer exists.  Any chance, anyone has a copy of that lying around they
could send?  Lastly, the reason I was going to go to the install was for
help turning off unnecessary/dangerous services, setting up DVD, and
setting up my printer.  Pete suggested that I write to the list and see if
anyone could help me with this.  He gave me a small list of stuff, but if
anyone could let me know what services to disable/install (he mentioned
portsentry) that would be great.  My DVD drive is a Creative PC-DVD, with
a Dxr3 decoder card.  My printer is an HP LaserJet 1100, which I have
never been able to get working in Linux.  Thank you all in advance for
your help, and I apologize for the length of this e-mail.  Hope the IF
goes well.

Patrick

P.S. Should I use a different distro of Linux?  Eventually my goal is to
install VMWare and run Windows over Linux, not sure if that changes
anything.  Thanks again.