Re: [vox-tech] tulip.c and DEC nic's

On Sat, Oct 07, 2000 at 08:54:57AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Oct 2000, Ted Deppner wrote:
> > Fry's.  This is a Fry's problem as far as I'm concerned.  Fry's buys
> > seconds and "mishandled" surplus.
>
> ted, this is good information to know.   i believe you, but i'm curious how
> you got this info.
>
> this sentence is enough to make me never walk into frys to buy hardware ever
> again!

Hmmm.  First off, I don't have proof.  So, don't jump to the conclusion
that everything in there is bad.

Second, Fry's deals in large quantities of "techie goods" to a largely
under-educated buying public.  They are also a larger seller of "techie
goods" in any area they drop a store.

Given these two facts, it follows that they will take advantage of
seconds, overstocks, "questionable" lots (a higher failure rate than
CompUSA or Bestbuy would tolerate), and so forth.  It also means they will
buy cheap crap to sell so their ad looks best in the Sunday paper (can you
say "Soyo motherboards"?).

Therefore, buyer beware.  I only buy name brand hardware from them, and
only when the manufacturer stands behind the product for 1 to 5 years.  I
don't like returning product to frys.

Not that you asked, but don't buy memory from Fry's.  Ever.  Buy from
www.crucial.com or someone that sells Crucial Memory (aka Micron).  Buy
hard drives in OEM packs from manufactures you like (Western Digital, IBM,
Segate).  And so forth.  Most computer gear can be had for lower costs
from mail order shops anyway... check www.pricewatch.com and snoop around.
[1]

Test everything immediatly when you get it... in the parking lot if you
can.

The thing to remember about Fry's is that they only sell "Good Enough".  A
$50 RJ48 crimper is good enough for my home use.  A $150 17" monitor is
good enough for my mother's home use.  etc.

[1]  I like www.atacom.com so far.  They seem consistent on price and
don't gouge on shipping.

--
Ted Deppner