Re: [vox-tech] tulip.c and DEC nic's

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] tulip.c and DEC nic's
  • From: Ted Deppner <ted@psybMAPSer.com>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 07:51:32 -0700

On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 03:11:20PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> i can't remember if someone posted a question about the DEC chip NIC with
> the tulip.c driver on vox-tech or one of the other mailing lists i'm on;
> i thought it was this one.  jay, were you the one asking about this driver?

I'm replying to several threads in this with this one email...

the linksys tulip clones are bad.  The Netgear FA310TX tulip clones are
quite good.  I ran an ISP on them for several years, and in fact, my
keystokes are flying across several of them here at my home, and at my
isp.

There were some problems with the tulip driver itself in the 2.2.x (x<10),
but I've had no problems at all with the Netgear boards in over a year.
It is a good solid board for $25.00.

That said, if you by stuff from Fry's expect a 10% failure rate.  I've had
several boards fail to work out of the box when I bought groups of 10 from
Fry's.  This is a Fry's problem as far as I'm concerned.  Fry's buys
seconds and "mishandled" surplus.

I've never had a FA310TX go bad.  They sync with ever decent hub I've
used.

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.psyber.com/~ted/