Re: [vox-tech] my hub just died

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] my hub just died
  • From: Mark Kim <mkkim@ucdavMAPSis.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 23:21:37 -0700

Wasn't someone going to setup the voxtech return address correctly?  What
happened?

Anyways...

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> 1. "fast ethernet" cards go up to 100Mb/sec.   (b=bit)

Yeah, around 100Mb/sec.

> 2. 10baseT is the fat-telephone like connectors.

Well, ... yes.  But, the fat-telephone like connectors are categorized
into several categories.  Category 3 (Cat3) is good enough for 10baseT, I
think.  10BaseT uses only four lines out of the eight on the Cat3 cable, I
think (send, receive, ground, and... something else).  Because it doesn't
use all the lines, you can deliver two 10baseT transmissions on a single
Cat5 cable using a splitter (maybe you can with a Cat3 cable also, but I'm
not sure).

100baseT also uses the fat-telephone like connectors, but it must be
Cat5.  100baseT uses 6 lines of the 8, I think, and cannot be
splitted.  Or at least that's my understanding.

> 3. 10baseT can only sustain 10Mb/sec

Approximately, yes.

> since i use 10bT, it doesn't matter whether i get a 100Mb/sec or 10Mb/sec
> hub, right?

Yes, it does matter.  My terrible hub, for example, can only do 100baseT
(100Mb/sec).  10baseT doesn't work.

> also, any comment on brands?  some hub makes i've seen are wisecom, ark,
> d-link systems and of course 3com.   i don't think there ought to be any
> windows/linux issues, but are there brands that people have had bad
> experiences with?
>
> if anyone has recommendations, i'm all ears.

I saw 100/10 dual speed hub at Fry's for $30 something... I think
$35... maybe $39.99...

-Mark

---
Mark K. Kim