Re: [vox-tech] my hub just died

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] my hub just died
  • From: "Doug Huckaba" <mrdoug@2xtremeMAPS.net>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 15:03:42 -0700

Date sent:              Fri, 6 Oct 2000 14:41:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:                   Peter Jay Salzman <p@belial.ucdavis.edu>
To:                     vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Subject:                [vox-tech] my hub just died
Send reply to:          vox-tech@lists.mother.com

> 1. "fast ethernet" cards go up to 100Mb/sec.   (b=bit)

Correct, fast ether=100mb

> 2. 10baseT is the fat-telephone like connectors.

actually RJ-11=fat telephone connector (that's the plastic connector)
10baseT is the cable

> 3. 10baseT can only sustain 10Mb/sec

Correct, actually I think IEEE specs say it can go over that like to 13mb/s.

> since i use 10bT, it doesn't matter whether i get a 100Mb/sec or
> 10Mb/sec
> hub, right?

Correct again...

> also, any comment on brands?  some hub makes i've seen are wisecom, ark,
> d-link systems and of course 3com.   i don't think there ought to be any
> windows/linux issues, but are there brands that people have had bad
> experiences with?

I have some no name, computer show special that's been up and running for
a couple of years now. I think that as long as you stay with a hub (as
opposed to a switch) it's all about the same. I can see brand loyalty when
you move up to an intelligent device (like a switch) but then your going to
spend more.

-Doug