Re: [vox-tech] Flat Panel and Linux

On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 11:37:54AM -0500, Jay Strauss wrote:
> Distro  - RedHat v6.2  Kernel 2.2.14-5.0
> Does X work - Is this a trick question?  No.
>               I can't configure X to work with my LCD. With my LCD installed
>               I can't even do RH install in graphics mode, I have to install
>               in text.
> Boot loader = lilo.
[...]
> Henry, what are you telling me to try??

As Mark pointed out, video card support and support for the screen are two
rather different matters. Try getting X to run with a CRT hooked up first.
Hope you know what model and chipset your video card is! I suspect that
getting the LCD (as distinct from the card) working will be a matter of
finding the right custom modeline. The program 'xfree86config' will create
this for you from horizontal and vertical sync modes that you specify. They
ought to be in the docs. If all alse fails I'll dig up the address of a
website that lists the modes for most extant monitors that I found a few
months ago.

--
Henry House