Re: [vox-tech] web question

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] web question
  • From: Henry House <hajhouse@houseag.coMAPSm>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 16:21:14 -0700

I have not done anything like this myself, but it is feasible.

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 04:15:44PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> 2. allow a user to click a point on the screen and have a dot appear at the
>               click point

Use an imagemap (client-side) in conjunction with a script that reads its
input from PATH_INFO. To explain: http://foo.org/cgi-bin/bar/baz invokes the
script bar with PATH_INFO set to 'baz' (I forget whether the leading slash is
included or not). You can grab the coords from this.

> 3. save the click point "coordinates" to a file

Left as an exercise to the reader how th do this ;-).

> later, i would like to display all the states put together, with the dots in
> the right place within the state.

There are a couple dynamic image generators available on freshmeat.
Perlmagick will probably work.

--
Henry House