Re: [vox-tech] Flat Panel and Linux

This sounds like something you have to fiddle with (not something
that can be figured out by e-mail.)  You may want to bring your
system to the Installfest this Sunday.  But from the messages, it sounds
like:

   1. You need to recompile the kernel with framebuffer capabilities
      turned on.  I've seen Mandrake Linux come with a separate kernel
      with this feature turned on, and they call it "vmlinuz-fb" or
      something.

      If I understand framebuffer thing correctly, it's a way to use
      graphics under videocards that are not supported by XFree86.
      It's a generic SVGA driver that requires kernel support and it's
      not very fast.  That's my understanding anyway.

   2. Run linux with the "vga=792" option.  You can do this at Lilo
      prompt by typing "linux vga=792" (assuming you can boot framebuffer
      enabled Linux kernel by typing "linux").

   3. Before running X, type "fbset -x".  To prevent X from running,
      type "linux 3 vga=792" instead of "linux vga=792" (at least that
      works on RedHat and its derivatives, and again, assuming you can
      boot framebuffer enabled Linux kernel by typing "linux").

   4. Edit /etc/X11/XF86Config (or wherever XF86Config file is).
      Modify the "Monitor" and "Screen" sections in XF86Config to look
      like the ones on the message.

   5. Log in, type "startx" to start X.

I *think* that's what the message is saying, but I'm not entirely
sure.  You might be able to do it without all this hassle, since it sounds
like the guy in the message was also trying to get his video card to work,
and that's why he needed to enable framebuffer and all that (in which case
you just need to do #4 above and restart X.)

If nothing works and no other ideas come up, there's always IF and
LERT.  I'm sure *someone* can figure it out...

-Mark

---
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/mark/