Re: [vox-tech] Monolithic Kernel or Dynamic

Re: [vox-tech] Monolithic Kernel or Dynamic

there's no absolute measure of monolithic vs modular.  it's all a
matter of degrees.

everytime you do something like play an mp3, ssh to school, write ipchains
rules, mount a windows partition, do an lsmod.

if you see more loaded modules than before, your kernel is at least
partially modular.  if you see it happening all the time, your kernel would
be called modular.

to be pedantic, if you can't call your kernel modular, you may be able to
call it monolithic.  :-)

you may be able to tell by the size of the System.map file; i don't know if
it keeps track of links to exported module data, so i'm on shaky ground
here.

> How can I tell if I'm running a monolithic kernel?
>
> I'm running RH6.2 out of the box.  Please explain how I can determine this as
> opposed to just telling, based on my distribution (i.e. give a man a fish Vs
> teach a man to fish).

well, fwiw, that's the way distros do it.  :)

peter