Re: [vox-tech] Linux and exceed

> Changing that "start method" fixes that problem, only to let me see two others:

Good...

> again my connect string:
> /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -fn 6x13 -bg black -bd white -fg lightblue -sb -ls -sl
> 9999 -display @a@:@#  -T `uname -n`
>
> 1) bash: ulimit: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted
> where am I even monkeying with ulimits (whatever they are)

Try trimming out some of your options on the command line. Here is the
command line I issue for a simple xterm window (also sets the $DISPLAY
variable and gives the window a title): /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -display @d -T
"Crash.mrdoug.com"

> 2) my backspace and delete keys don't work.  My machine beeps when I hit those
> keys.  I tried doing "stty erase ^H" but it doesn't have any effect.

You will want to check two things. 1) check the keyboard emulation of
exceed. I use us.kbf with my 104 (keyboard with the windows keys) key
keyboard. Next check the termcap definitions on the linux host you are
connecting to. I know that these two areas define how keys are used
however I am not sure as to what settings would directly effect your
problem. I have similar problems with linux hosts (but not with SUN and AIX)
so I'm sure that it's somewhere in the termcap file (located in /etc I'm sure).

> 3) I can't login as root, once I have a xterm going I can "su -" fine, but I
> can't initiate my xterm as root

This problem is due to a setting on the host, stating that UID's less than
100 (root = UID 0) cannot login remotely. I am not sure where that setting
is, but this is a security feature that is implemented by default with most
linux distros...