Re: [vox-tech] pthread_cond_timedwait and timespec struct

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] pthread_cond_timedwait and timespec struct
  • From: Richard Cook <MAPSrcook@llnl.gov>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 13:22:25 -0700

Jeff Newmiller wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Richard Cook wrote:
>
> > Anyone know why pthread_cond_timedwait doesn't seem to wait at all
> > (noone sends a cond_signal) for the following snippet?  I guess maybe
> > I'm doing something wrong with  TIA
> >
> >   struct timespec theTimeSpec = {0};
> >   theTimeSpec.tv_sec = 0;
> >   theTimeSpec.tv_nsec = 500000000;/* 500.0 milliseconds */
> >   err = pthread_cond_timedwait(&pcbReadyForSorter_cond,
> > &sortWaiting_lock,
> >                          &theTimeSpec);
> >
> > when it returns, err = 147, which I can't seem to find the meaning of.
> > When I try to test (err == ETIMEDOUT), my compiler complains that
> > ETIMEDOUT is not defined.  Wasup?
>
> Well, Reading The Fine Manual it says that the time specification must be
> absolute, for one thing.  See the example in the man page.

I don't have an example in my man page.  Can you send it to me?  thx.  I
still don't understand what "absolute" means.  All time is relative.
(and I'm not just being philosophical here)

> As for ETIMEDOUT, the only instance of this macro to be found in my
> include tree is in /usr/include/pi-source.h, which is for Pilot
> programming.  I think this is a deficiency in the pthreads library.

I found a definition in /usr/include/sys/errno.h

--
opinions expressed here are not those of my employer!
email: rcook@llnl.gov          Rich Cook, Mail Stop L-551 Bldg-3577