Re: [vox-tech] samba question

> On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > 1. i'm trying to share a linux printer with windows.  the SMB howto is
> >   pretty silent on what to do on the windows side.  i assume i double click
> >
> >   control panel | printers | add new printers | networked printer
> >     | browse | satan
> >
> >   i see satan on the list of networked computers, but when i try to double
> >   click it, it asks for a password.  i use the password for p (p exists on
> >   both satan and navalle and has the same password), but it complains about a
> >   bad password.
>
> Those are the right steps.  The password problem sounds like the problem
> Eric was having before.

those messages weren't archived yet.  :(  eric, if you're reading this, can
you forward me the replies?

btw, vox-tech is now archived not once, not twice, but thrice.

i'm bringing this up at the officer's meeting.  i have a feeling this is a
very easily fixed problem.

> > 2. smbclient is a kind of ftp interface, which is nice, but is it possible
> >    to actually _mount_ a windows share on satan?
>
> Use 'smbmount'.  I've seen two versions (one is probably a wrapper for the
> other).  The "easier" version works just like 'mount'.  The
> "harder" version is really weird... check the man.

yup, you're correct, it is a wrapper because of changes within the 2.0 and
2.2 kernels.  it works like a charm.

in fact, there's even a -t smbfs switch to mount!  i will take this to mean
that i can include windows shares in /etc/fstab.  woo hoo!!

> > 3. having to type "smbclient \\\\navalle\\C" is just plain silly.  there's
> >    GOT to be a more aesthetically pleasing way of doing this.  are there any
> >    higher level samba clients to replace smbclient?
>
> Use forward slashes instead of the backward.  That way, you don't have to
> escape to type the backslashes:
>
>    smbclient //navalle/C

i've fired off a letter to the SMB howto maintainer about this.   :)

thanks mark!

pete