Re: [vox-tech] samba question

On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> 1. i'm trying to share a linux printer with windows.  the SMB howto is
>   pretty silent on what to do on the windows side.  i assume i double click
>
>   control panel | printers | add new printers | networked printer
>     | browse | satan
>
>   i see satan on the list of networked computers, but when i try to double
>   click it, it asks for a password.  i use the password for p (p exists on
>   both satan and navalle and has the same password), but it complains about a
>   bad password.

Those are the right steps.  The password problem sounds like the problem
Eric was having before.

> 2. smbclient is a kind of ftp interface, which is nice, but is it possible
>    to actually _mount_ a windows share on satan?

Use 'smbmount'.  I've seen two versions (one is probably a wrapper for the
other).  The "easier" version works just like 'mount'.  The
"harder" version is really weird... check the man.

> 3. having to type "smbclient \\\\navalle\\C" is just plain silly.  there's
>    GOT to be a more aesthetically pleasing way of doing this.  are there any
>    higher level samba clients to replace smbclient?

Use forward slashes instead of the backward.  That way, you don't have to
escape to type the backslashes:

   smbclient //navalle/C

-Mark

---