Re: [vox-tech] CD-ROM Issues

On Sun, Sep 24, 2000 at 01:53:40PM -0700, Patrick B. Lickiss wrote:
[...]
> This didn't work either.  I opened up the
> case and discovered, to my horror, that the CD drive was not IDE, but rather
> connected with a proprietary cable to his sound card, an SB 16.  Well folks,
> here is where I'm stumped.  Is there any way to make Linux recognize this
> card as a drive controller.

Yes, if you can compile your oown kernel and boot the installer from that.
The drive may be supported by the non-ide, non-scsi cdrom drivers; you can
find these in the section of the same name in the kernel config.

> Or should I just give up and have him buy a
> cheap IDE drive?

Might be easier.

> Or, lastly, should I try to make the network card work and
> do a network install from one of the other computers on our LAN?  If so, how
> hard is this?  Anyway, thanks for the time and the help.

This is probably your best option assuming that the network card is not
something obscure (I have a free ne2000 isa card for you th replace it if
it is). I suggest making installer floppies for Debian (you need rescue,
root, and three or four driver disks); the Debian installer will let you load
the ethernet driver from the driver disk and then you can install from an FTP
mirror.

Debian is also a good choice for old machines because its base setup takes
much less disk space than most distros'.

--
Henry House
OpenPGP key available from http://romana.cocoranch.com/hajhouse.asc