January 6: Social gathering

[vox-tech] CD-ROM Issues

  • Subject: [vox-tech] CD-ROM Issues
  • From: "Patrick B. Lickiss" <pblickiss@ucdavis.MAPSedu>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 13:49:53 -0700

Here's an interesting problem:  My roommate has an old Compaq (shudder) 486
that I was going to install Linux on for him to mess around with.  (By the
way, what's the command to enter the BIOS on Compaq's, it never pops up with
any kind of command to type).  The computer has a really small hard drive,
so partitioning it and doing a hard disk install won't work.  The next best
option seems to be to install it off a CD-ROM.  So, being the resourceful
individual that I am, I sorted through a pile of CD's sitting on my floor
until I found RedHat 6.0, which I figured I could install w/o x-windows and
all that just to give him something to play on.  I made up a boot disk (note
that this computer pre-dates CD-ROMs and has no boot from CD option) and
started up the computer.  First I tried the text install option, but the
loader said that the kernel image was missing.  Next I tried the regular
graphical boot and it started up fine.  I chose all the necessary options
until I reached the choice of a hard disk or CD-ROM install.  I chose CD-ROM
and was told by the software to choose a drive type.  None of the given
selections, when autoprobed, responded with anything.  My next step was to
boot into DOS and copy down the IRQ, etc. info  then load linux with the
info placed on the command line.  This didn't work either.  I opened up the
case and discovered, to my horror, that the CD drive was not IDE, but rather
connected with a proprietary cable to his sound card, an SB 16.  Well folks,
here is where I'm stumped.  Is there any way to make Linux recognize this
card as a drive controller.  Or should I just give up and have him buy a
cheap IDE drive?  Or, lastly, should I try to make the network card work and
do a network install from one of the other computers on our LAN?  If so, how
hard is this?  Anyway, thanks for the time and the help.

Patrick

P.S. I called Pacbell the other day and actually spoke to a nice and very
informative person.  She informed me about the freeze on new and transfer
accounts and gave me the call back date of the 28th.  What I found
interesting was that there was a note for all Davis customers to call back
that day but also one for people west of 113 to call back.  She hypothesized
that this could mean that they're finall installing a remote CO on my side
of 113 allowing people in the West Covell neighborhood to get DSL.  I'll
keep everyone posted as I'll be calling back on the 28th to see what
happens.