Re: [vox-tech] very burning questions....

Re: [vox-tech] very burning questions....

> dear all,

Hi Pete & all,

I'll try answering the ones I think I know about.  :)

> 1. how much data?
>
> i know a typical CD holds something like 650 or 680 MB.  i also know that
> there's some overhead in the iso9660 filesystem.  so the maximum capacity of
> a cd is uninteresting when compared to "how much of my data can i fit onto a
> cd?".  has anybody done tests to see what this maximum is?

It depends.  Different media has different maximums.  That goes for media
coming from the same brand.  I think the iso overhead is 1MB (at least
that what my friend's Nero Burning ROM says).

> 2. what happens if i go over?
>
> what happens when i go over this limit?  does the data not get written or
> does the cd become toast?

There is a technique called overburning.  It depends if your burner
supports burning past the limit (& whether the media can actually hold all
the data).  There have been some discussion that ordinary CDs can go up to
2 minutes more than the advertised capacity (74 mins -> 76 mins).  Your
mileage may vary.  I think cdrecord would support overburning if all it
does is dump data out to a device.

> 4. about extensions
>
> so there's the joliet and rockridge extensions.  i'm not considering the el
> torito extension because i'm not terribly interested (yet) in making a
> bootable cd.   which do people use?  what are the advantages/disadvantages
> of each?  i know that joliet allows longer filenames and the rockridge keepsi
> the idea of ownership and permissions on a file.  anything else?  the
> manpage says that rockridge is still bound by 8.3 filenames.

Joliet is the Windoze CD filesystem (FS), so if you want others who use
W9x exclusively to view your CD, use Joliet.  Kernels have been able read
the Joliet FS for quite some time.  I usually use Joliet, since I share my
CDs with others.

I haven't played with rockridge much except that I remember I had a
helluva time trying to make a valid CD from an ftp download of a Redhat
5.2 CD way back when.  I finally d/led an ISO image instead.

> 6. about disks
>
> do people have a favorite place/supplier for the cheapest high quality CDRW
> disks?  i know enough to not buy them at frys, unless i want to pay more.
> any favorite websites to check out?   also, i've heard that the different
> colours of disks mean differing quality.  is that true?  which colour is the
> highest quality?   is there a difference between CDR and CDRW disks?

Regarding CDRs, gold colored disks (on the bottom) are the best, IMHO.
It reacts to less (my chemistry eludes me at the moment).  Kodak is one
of the best, as is Sony, but expect to pay a little more.  Imation have
been improving on the material they use on their CDRs.  They used to use
green dye, but they have been producing CDRs with gold (gold-colored
anyway) lately.

I haven't played enough with CDRWs to give a good
recommmendation.  Someone posted a really good site about CDR labelling,
which was very good.  Also, do a search on the web.

> i feel kinda lost about all this, but it's starting to come together.  any
> hints would be really appreciated!

:)

> pete

FL