Re: [vox-tech] beeping linux (and star trek)

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 10:34:44AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> a long time ago, someone had asked "how do i turn beeping off on linux".
>
> i answered that you can turn beeping under vi off by set noerrorbells, but
> that it never seemed to work (for me, at least).
>
> now, i have a real answer.  one that works!  :-)

I also have another way.  I believe your way will only work on xterm, etc.
If you are in console mode, you may do this:

echo -e "\e[11;0]"

(if that doesn't work, replace the \e with \033).

Poking around in the virtual terminal soruce recently,
I found a couple commands which alter the console beep.

echo -e "\e[10;<some_freq>]"

to set the frequency at which the beep will play.  For
example, to set it to "A" 220, just do:

echo -e "\e[10;440]"

and use

echo -e "\e[11;<duration_in_millisecs>]"

to set the length (must be less than 2000) in
milliseconds.

Try it!

--------------------------------------

In some relation to this, I just wrote a small program
this weekend which uses the built-in speaker to play melodies.

It simply takes the notes you wish to play as arguments,
in the following format:

(note name)(sharp or flat)(octave)(note length)

always lowercase.  Octaves are numeric, ranging from 1 to 5 (a3 = a-440).
Note lengths are specified in beats or fractional beats, such as:

w = whole note
h = half note
q = quarter note
e = eighth note
s = sixteenth note
t = thirty-second note

and may be combined to form things such as:

qe = dotted quarter-note
est = doubly-dotted eighth-note

Octaves and durations may be left out, after having been specified
(octaves, actually, never need to be specified).

For example,

ditty c3e d e f g a b c4

plays a C-Major scale.  You can also feed pre-typed files to it.

Does this stupid little toy interest anyone?  I'll be releasing it soon,
but I need to do a little clean-up, and also plan on adding a /dev/dsp
alternative option.  GPL'd - /OF COURSE!/

Pete, I thought maybe it might be useful to you in writing your
ear-training program, either in calling ditty (my program) from a
shell-script, or execve, or "appropriating" the code within.

-Micah