Re: [vox-outreach] Valley Oak Charter School

Re: [vox-outreach] Valley Oak Charter School

hi

On Dec 5, 2007 2:29 AM, Nick Schmalenberger <nick@schmalenberger.us> wrote:
> Alex

Assuming that Valley Oak has a computer lab right now so are they going
to be able to buy those from the school district? How will that compare
to getting stuff from the Alameda place or CRC?

ACCRC.org is a good place to deal with, because they will provide replacement warrantees for the boxes.  If the boxes go bad, they will just give you a replacement.

If you are thinking of purchasing FOSS equipment or want to pay someone to come in and do the wiring, I would recommend a few different groups.  There is one guy in Granite Bay, probably very close to you, Steve Hargadon, who does lots and lots of this kind of work, and does an excellent, speedy job, and provides support.  And he can do it with old hardware.  He is the guy who originally set up our FOSS thin clients at the public middle school that we are supporting on a volunteer basis in San Francisco.  Here is his page:

http://technologyrescue.wikispaces.com/

Here is a quote from his page.

"Complete school, lab, or business networks can be set up in less than a day and can provide years of inexpensive computer use. Existing computers can be converted to high-speed workstations. Popular software programs like OpenOffice and Firefox run fast and effectively. There are no operating system or software licensing fees, no costly upgrades, and no viruses or spyware to worry about."

Steve tends to focus on older hardware, and AFAIK, doesn't provide new hardware.  Don't quote me on that, though, check with him.  If you want original new hardware with FOSS pre-installed, there are two places that I can recommend.  One is in Berkeley, called Zareason.com.  The other is in San Francisco, called TechCollective.com.  I have worked with them both, and they are both reliable and high quality at a decent price.  The contact at Zareason is Cathy Malmrose.  The contact at TechCollective is Yochai Gal (a young man, it's a Hebrew name).

--
Christian Einfeldt,
Producer, The Digital Tipping Point