2007 Feb 27 08:20

Re: [vox-outreach] New Sacramento Linux user

I would be honored if I can help this man out however I am very green to Linux. I do have compassion and can get the ball rolling as far getting things done. I just wish that this message came just before the last installfest.

If someone is reading this please help me help this man. I can muddle through but as far as handicap software I havent a clue and besides, there are soo many members that know so much more about linux than I do.

I can do legwork, transport and put in some hours. I have a car and can pick up anybody anywhere that has linux experience.

Henrik, if you are reading this, please know that I will help.

Jim

----- Original Message ----- From: "Henrik Nilsen Omma" <henrik@ubuntu.com>
To: <lug-nuts@saclug.org>
Cc: <vox-outreach@lists.lugod.org>
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2007 11:44 AM
Subject: [vox-outreach] New Sacramento Linux user

Hi,

I'm the accessibility lead at Ubuntu. I'm contacting SacLUG with what may seem an odd request. We were recently contacted by a 72 year old computer enthusiast from Sacramento who has been trying for several years to migrate from Windows to Linux, trying various distros.

His case is made more complicated by the fact that he is nearly blind (5% vision in one eye, he says). On windows he relies on special text-to-speech and magnification software. Such tools are becoming available on Linux too, but they are not always trivial to set up. If you have no previous knowledge of Linux and poor vision, you can imagine that it gets complicated.

The good news it that he seems generally quite tech-savvy and is very determined. I spoke with him on the phone at some length yesterday. What he really needs IMO is to meet someone locally who can just show him some of the options available to him and help him install them.

I would recommend the Orca screen reader and the espeak voice engine, which are both developing nicely. Finally he should try the zoom function with inverse colours in Beryl, which would serve his magnification needs very well IMO, though it can be non-trivial to install and is still a bit buggy.

I would go see him myself if we were even on the same continent, but I'm in Oslo, Norway ATM :) He says he had trouble finding contact information on you website (I found it easily enough, but this illustrates the challenges he faces).

I've had some contact with people from LUGOD in connection with Software Freedom Day, so I know there are dedicated evangelists in the Sacramento area :)

Henrik