2007 Jan 11 10:25

Re: [vox-outreach] DCN contact -- potential for class

Re: [vox-outreach] DCN contact -- potential for class

quoting the entirety of Harold's post, since it's been
literally 3 months...

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 01:28:52PM -0700, Harold Lee wrote:
> Bill Kendrick wrote:
> >It looks like someone named Jim Frame is now sending out
> >Davis Community Network's (DCN's) newsletters.
> >
> >  admin@dcn.org
> >
> >looks to be the address to sent comments to, so perhaps we can spark
> >the topic of a LUGOD class by contacting him?
> >
> >Harold, feel like tackling this? :)
> >
> Sure - I'll fire off an email and try to find out what's going on
> logistically. Sorry I couldn't make it to the social, my son was sick.

So any word?  It's a new year, and I'm trying to light fires under
LUGOD folks to get things rolling again.  I've seen far too many other
LUGs stagnate and fizzle in the last couple of years, and cannot stand
to think of LUGOD doing the same.  (Esp. considering we're in a
University town, so things really should be fun, sometimes hectic,
and definitely vibrant!)

We've done so much in the past, with few resources and often on
short notice, so little reason to stop trying to continue. ;)

> I imagine basically two types of classes,
> - Converting power users
> - Giving a test drive / taste of Linux to general computer users
>
> Power users likely have an idea what Linux is, and want to know some
> details about architecture, shells and programming, CD/DVD ripping,
> hard-core gaming, etc. General users would probably get the most out of
> seeing that Firefox, Evolution and OpenOffice can meet many of their day
> to day needs without a steep learning curve. I like the idea of trying
> to address these needs separately, because in a mixed environment both
> groups tend to be frustrated by the questions and focus of the other group.
>
> Both groups probably have a secondary, older system they can use to play
> with Linux, if only via a Live CD, so I see distributing some flavor of
> Linux on CD as critical to getting longer term adoption. Power users are
> much more likely to wind up attending future LUGOD events, whereas
> general users might find the demo interesting and tuck the CD away for
> months or years before finding a user for Linux in their home life.
>
> -Harold

PS - I'm tired.  Baby woke me up at 5:30am and I've been tending to
him for the last ~2.5hrs :)

bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/