2006 Aug 30 19:36

Re: [vox-outreach] Software Freedom Day

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 09:18:17PM -0700, Jimbo wrote:
> Give me duties and details.  Will dig up more on my end about event.

Thanks. ;)

The old "LUGOD Farmer's Market HOWTO" might be useful, though it was
originally written back when our standard venue was outdoors at the
farmers market at 8am on a Saturday. ;^)

  http://www.lugod.org/documents/howtos/FarmersMarket-HOWTO.txt

Last year's Software Freedom Day demo was actually held at the
Farmer's Market, though.  Here's photos:

  http://www.lugod.org/photos/2005.09.10/

Lately, though, our demos are usually something like 1-4pm or 3-6pm
or whatever we want (and can get), at the Davis Food Co-Op's demo
kitchen.

A _few_ details are here:

  http://www.lugod.org/projects/demo/

And yes, I said demo _kitchen_.  It's actually a great spot.  We're in a
little cubby, facing out towards the public.  We have some room for
handouts and discs for people to grab, and a demo computer.

There's lots of foot traffic was people wanter from produce to dairy, or up
and down between the aisles in the center of the store.  They're also happy
to make an announcement (or usually let one of us do it) over their
loudspeaker system once or twice, while we're there.

Here's a couple of photos of what it looks like:

  http://www.lugod.org/photos/2005.07.10/img_3634.jpg
  http://www.lugod.org/photos/2002.04.27/0427_007.jpg

In fact, here are a bunch of photos, to give you an idea of how we've
set it up in the past...

  http://www.lugod.org/photos/2005.07.10/
  http://www.lugod.org/photos/2004.03.20/
  http://www.lugod.org/photos/2002.09.14/
  http://www.lugod.org/photos/2002.07.20/
  http://www.lugod.org/photos/2002.06.29/
  http://www.lugod.org/photos/2002.04.27/
  http://www.lugod.org/photos/2000.10.07/
  http://www.lugod.org/photos/2000.07.22/

*Whew!*

> Haul, pick up, burn, distribute...etc.

Hauling is usually pretty easy.  LUGOD has a very small demo computer
these days, along with a flatscreen LCD monitor.  I don't know what state
it's in, so we might want to install something fresh onto it (Kubuntu?),
or run a LiveCD (Kubuntu? Knoppix?).  (Yes, I'm a KDE fan ;^) )

> Coordinate, setup, man booth, sign autographs, take pictures.

Pretty much!

We need volunteers to help actually staff the booth.  Often it's easy
enough to do it alone (I've done it a few times), but it's good to have
someone there to take over when you need to go buy a snack or use the
restroom.

> I am eager to be of any assistance.

Thanks so much! :^)  I'll put a note up on the website to let people know
we're going forward.

Henry, can you try to reserve the Co-Op for that day?  Or if you don't
have time, can you post the details on how to do it?  (I honestly don't
think I ever have!)