2004 Nov 27 14:02

[vox-outreach] LUGOD classes

LUGOD hasn't held any hands-on classes in a while.  Would anyone out here
like to put something together?

What we've been able to do to in the past is work together with DCN, the
Davis Community Network, who also helps us get access to the City of Davis
computer lab (located on A Street).

I'm thinking some of the following presentation topics would be good:

  * Linux basics  (focusing on Knoppix or another live disc we can hand out)

  * OpenOffice.org basics  (we can provide OOo discs for Win32 and Linux)

  * The GIMP basics  (again, providing free discs with the software)

  * Migrating to FireFox  (covering the steps to switch from IE to FF,
                           and maybe covering some of the subtle differences
                           and the cooler features of FF that IE lacks)

If folks out here are interested, I can get ahold of Richard Lowenberg from
DCN to see when we can schedule a class or four. ;^)

Also, if anyone out here feels like taking over as LUGOD/DCN Class
coordinator, please let us know!

-bill!
pr@lugod.org
http://www.lugod.org/