2004 Sep 29 10:54

[vox-outreach] Read what others have said to CPR about OSS!

[vox-outreach] Read what others have said to CPR about OSS!

The following comments were posted to the California Performance Review web
site (found using a search for 'software'). Some are unfavorable, some
positive about OSS.

http://cpr.ca.gov/updates/archives/pdf/08_27_2004/GOLDBERG.pdf
http://cpr.ca.gov/updates/archives/pdf/08_27_2004/GOULD.pdf
http://cpr.ca.gov/updates/archives/pdf/08_27_2004/GUARDINO.pdf
http://cpr.ca.gov/updates/archives/pdf/08_27_2004/ITAA.pdf
http://cpr.ca.gov/updates/archives/pdf/09_10_2004/Supplemental/ISC.pdf
http://cpr.ca.gov/updates/pressdetail.php?id=165
http://cpr.ca.gov/updates/pressdetail.php?id=216
http://cpr.ca.gov/updates/pressdetail.php?id=245
http://cpr.ca.gov/updates/pressdetail.php?id=248
http://cpr.ca.gov/updates/pressdetail.php?id=251
http://cpr.ca.gov/updates/presssection.php?s=news

I do not have time to study these right now since I have meetings all day.
Would someone please have a look at these?

In a quick skimming, I saw a lot of comments more or less like "we are
moderate and not biased against OSS, but feel that OSS is not superior to
proprietary software and government agencies should be free to pick the
software with the best value without any bias towards a specific license or
development model."

I disagree with that --- there are some specific reasons why OSS IS
inherently superior to a proprietary model. I also think that is is
disingenuous to portray the above position as a moderate position, while
poking holes in the credibility of OSS. Just a first impression; I have not
studied the comments in any detail.

--
Henry House