Re: [vox-outreach] Article: 'Linux in action: A public library'ssuccess story'

Richard Crawford wrote:
Bill Kendrick said:

Linux in action: A public library's success story
Newsforge, Wednesday May 05, 2004

 http://www.newsforge.com/os/04/05/03/1520209.shtml

[snip]

Considering the state of the Davis Public Library's computers (pop-up
ads come up, computers crash and are unusable, etc.), I'd love for us to
try to convince Yolo County to consider Open Source alternatives! :^)

I sent a copy to the librarian in Dixon, where I'm on the Library
Commission.  I'm planning on building a "proof of concept" box out of
LuMiX if the library can spare me an old computer.

Why build Linux from scratch, or use some low-profile distribution? Bill has shown it to be possible to build a secure kiosk with Debian, and I'm sure gentoo would fit the bill as well.

I have a 333mhz computer I'd like put to good use. This project is as good as any. In fact, I am would be very willing, and excited, to help with a Linux project in either a library or a school. I feel both publicly funded institutions should be socially obligated to use open source.

Jonathan