2004 Feb 18 08:11

[vox-outreach] Whole Earth

The folks from Whole Earth called me again today (I had forgot to call them
back -- sorry!).  As mentioned at Monday's meeting, they've invited us back
for another year!

The last two years, we've had a booth set up demonstrating Linux and handing
out info and CDROMs.  (DemoLinux the first year, Knoppix last year.)

The event is from May 7-9th, if I recall correctly.  The cost is somewhere
around $50.  Last year we were set up next to a solar power display, and
were able to power the LUGOD demo box and some laptops off of the solar
array!  I mentioned that we'd love to do that again, if possible.
(And if not, we should be okay just using laptops.  WEF takes place in
the Quad at UC Davis, and isn't far from power outlets to recharge with.)

All we'll need is volunteers!  WARNING: I might be in the midst of moving,
so I'd prefer not to coordinate this year's event if at all possible! :^)

Thx!

-bill!
PS - Government Technology Conference (GTC) in Sacramento directly follows
this event, starting on May 10th.  We can't afford to pay for a booth,
since the pricetag is over $1000.  However, last year we were able to get
a free booth (just paid about $100 for power, IIRC) since they had space.
We won't know if the same thing will happen this year until about a
month -- or perhaps only a few weeks -- before the event, however!!!

So, to sum up... WEF - definitely, assuming noone dissents.  Just need
to do the paperwork and find volunteers.  Got plenty of Knoppix discs![*]  ;)
GTC - maybe.  At the least, Mike Simons and I would definitely LIKE to see
us attend, if possible!

[*] Thx once again to Tim Riley for another packet that arrived in the mail
yesterday!