2004 Feb 15 13:18

[vox-outreach] Beta test OpenOffice.org data aware form to assist Microsoft California Settlement Claimants

[vox-outreach] Beta test OpenOffice.org data aware form to assist Microsoft California Settlement Claimants

Hi All,

I have developed a few StarBasic macros and duplicated the Microsoft California Settlement Claim in an OpenOffice.org form.

My motivation was first to learn about the API (which has a rather steep learning curve) and second to try to create something useful for grassroots marketing and distribution efforts to promote Open Source. The form is designed to take advantage of contacts in an Address Book.

This project has made me aware of the huge potential the OpenOffice.org API has for developers.

I am at the beta test phase of my little single person project.

If you have the time, please install the form and dBase file found here

http://www.innercite.com/~pmiller/SmarterMSCalSettlement/

on any system with OpenOffice.org , evaluate it and the accompanying ReadMe and give me feedback via email.

I am also hoping that developers will critically look at my code and make improvements. The code is LGPL.

There is only one month until the filing deadline so I really need support and encouragement if this is to make even a tiny impact.
USA Today claims that fewer than one million people have responded with claim forms, despite notification mailings to 17 million people. I have seen other reports that 25-30 million people are eligible to make a claim. I estimate that the average claim will be $64. If anyone is listening, on March 15 there will be a huge sucking sound of an estimated $880 million from California consumer wallets back to the control of our friends in Redmond.

Anyone here interested in helping California consumers get their money back?

Best to all,
Paul Miller
OpenOffice.org Marketing Volunteer
LUGOD member