2004 Feb 12 16:59

Re: [vox-outreach] Re: Approaching Davis City Council regardingLinux and Open Source?

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 22:39:27 -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> I'm pretty unfamiliar with city government, with respect to computer and
> software usage, and have been hoping to spark a conversation here to
> figure out how and where Linux might fit in to the City's plan.

I'm somewhat familiar with how things get done up at city hall.  It's all
about the study.  Basically, you first want to convince the city council
that it's worth it for them to do a study on switching to open-source.
I'm the one that knows Mike Harrington, and he's the one that could put
it on the city's agenda (provided he gets re-elected this March).

That study would determine the feasibility and savings of switching the
city's computers to open source Linux, etc.  If their study finds what
you'd expect it to find, then the council would likely vote to switch to
open-source.

It would be helpful for one of you to do some rough preliminary research:
call up city hall and see if you can find out what software they use and
how many computers they have.  Try to estimate how much they spend on
software, or maybe they could tell you exact budget figures.  The city's
budget is public record.  If it looks like there's a chance the city
would save $$, I'm sure they would do the study (they're looking for ways
to save money these days as you probably know).

Secondly, it would help if one of you folks who already knows the general
arguments could take an hour or two to draft a half-page policy brief.  It
should summarize the case for this proposal:  Davis City Government
and the Davis Joint-Unified School District should switch to open-source
software.  Include proposal, background, advantages, precedents, and steps
to implementation.

If you wrote something like that, then other organizations could endorse
it and get behind it -- along with LUGOD.  For instance, the Yolo County
Green Party could back it and rally more support for it.  (I'm connected
with them.)  Open-source is in the spirit of grassroots democracy and
community-based economics etc., and that's what they're all about.

Can one of you make a couple phone calls to city hall to research what
their story is?

CHRIS

--
http://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~jerdonek/ : (530) 297-6947