2004 Feb 03 00:01

Re: [vox-outreach] Re: Approaching Davis City Council regarding Linux and Open Source?

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 08:44:47AM -0800, Edward Elliott wrote:
> Bill, I'm interested in helping with this, but I'm a little confused
> on the focus of the presentation. Perhaps we could have a chat by
> phone about this?

Well, again, I think we need to talk about IF there's going to be a
presentation, and if so, on then decide on what, precisely.

Absolutely no contact has been made with anyone in the City
(I spoke with a number a few years ago, inviting them to meetings and
other events), but it sounds like we have an 'in' with Mike Harris,
who if I recall, was keen on Linux even back then.

I'm pretty unfamiliar with city government, with respect to computer and
software usage, and have been hoping to spark a conversation here to
figure out how and where Linux might fit in to the City's plan.

(Heck, I'd like to see LUGOD talking with OTHER local governments as well,
since we're the major LUG in the area...  I'm sure more rural locales might
find Linux even more appealing than Davis, which is presumably a little
better funded, thanks to the greater population and UC Davis.)

City government is one of a number of 'public' venues where I (and I'm
sure many others) feel Linux and Open Source / Free Software should be
considered.  Another big one I'm interested in is schools.  (See my
letter to schools back in October.  Not one lick of response, BTW :^( :^( )

Speaking of all this... somewhat related topic, I'm almost finished writing
a little article/review of Mozilla for March's CCN magazine (to kind of
'follow-up' to my article on Open Source & OpenOffice.org, from January)... :)