2004 Jan 27 16:53

[vox-outreach] Approaching Davis City Council regarding Linux and Open Source?

[vox-outreach] Approaching Davis City Council regarding Linux and Open Source?

A fellow named Chris wrote in:

  I've been seeing open source in the news a lot recently, with
  certain countries starting to adopt it semi-officially.

  Has anyone in your group ever approached the Davis City Council
  about having the city offices migrate to open-source?  This would
  be timely as they are looking for ways to save money.  I wonder
  how much money they spend on proprietary software.

and then:

  You can also let them know that I am connected with Mike Harrington
  who is on the council and would be able to arrange something with him,
  if a subgroup wanted to take it up.  I'm sure he'd like the idea.  I'm
  just not knowledgable enough to speak about it with any authority or
  specificity.

  It would also help if you guys could write up a specific proposal
  for the city that a less-expert organization could stand behind.  That
  would be really good.  I think it's great you started advocating for
  it in the school system too.

Although I'll be leaving Davis soon (around May), I'd love to see us getting
involved here.  Davis is the kind of town that should be all for Open Source,
and I think it's becoming obvious that the time is right. :^)

Let's discuss it!  (I'll post a note to 'vox' to try to get people over
here onto 'vox-outreach' who might not be already.)

-bill!
root@lugod.org
http://www.lugod.org/
Linux Users' Group of Davis

PS - He also wrote a nice PS ;^)

  "I think the LUGOD web site is among the best-organized I've ever seen"