2003 Oct 17 09:15

Re: [vox-outreach] Letter to local schools - draft

Re: [vox-outreach] Letter to local schools - draft

Rod Roark wrote:
On Thursday 16 October 2003 11:00 pm, Bill Kendrick wrote:

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 10:53:14PM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:

Minor suggested corrections are inline below.
Thanks so much! :^)

Rod caught all the little things I noticed. My general impression, though, is that the letter is a little too long and heavy on the philosophy. What you say is important and true, but it's always the applications that will get people interested to start with. I'd try to keep the top matter the same length as the description of the software you highlight (a very good selection, by the way).

Jonathan

It's the least I can do.  :-)

<snip>

Open Source provides people with the ability to share ideas and work
together freely.  It's like the scientific method, which works well
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                   Open sharing of ideas and results
Ooh, argh... I like the term "scientific method" in there.  I get this
feeling that the phrase will be something they, as educators, can relate to.
(Not that "Open sharing of ideas" isn't, but it's not a phrase that's
said a lot. ;^) )

The problem is, that's not the Scientific Method.  As I
recall, the SM refers to the practice of changing only one
variable in an experiment at a time, to carefully determine
cause and effect.

-- Rod