2003 Jun 13 08:03

Re: [Vox-Outreach] [fwd] AmiWest 2003

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 14:32:10PM -0400, Mike Simons wrote:
> Bill,
>
> - Should you _or_ I handle coordination for this event?
>
> > In addition, I would like to personally attend your next club meeting
> > on June 16 and invite all of you to our show.
>
> - If you haven't already we should invite Brian to the next meeting...
>
> All,
>
> - Does anyone want to help staff a booth at this event?
>
>   We need to figure out if a tiny table is going to really cost $150,
> and if the booth staff is going to have to pay to for admission to
> to the booth.
>
>   If *either* of those are true, this show is not going to happen.

The way I read the info on their site, _both_ are true.

"Booth and Table Pricing/Information
Booth/Table     Location        Sq. Ft.  Price if deposit by June 15
5'x6' Table     Inside           30      $175.00"

"A special rate of $150 will be made for User Groups. This will be for a
6'x30" single table only and does not include free admission to the
show. There will be no discounted price."

"Included in the show space are the following: Tables, Chairs, Drapage &
skirting, Electricity, Except for user groups, admission for 2 people
(larger booths may have admittance for more than 2 people on request)"

And the 6'x30" table corresponds to the 5'x6' booth... So from what I
read usergroups get a $25 discount, but lose the 2 admissions. The
wording doesn't make it clear whether those are exhibitor admissions, or
extras, but the "larger booths may have admittance for more than 2
people on request" wording makes me believe that is is for the
exhibitors.

> > Please consider this your official invitation to participate.
> [...]
> > We would like to see you exhibit at our show as well.
> >
> > We would like to see you do a presentation on Linux itself at our show.
> > A presentation on the GPL would also be good.  Exhibitor details,
> > including the special deal we have for user group exhibitors, are
> > available on our website at www.sacc.org/amiwest.

Directing us specifically to the page mentioning "the special deal we
have for user group exhibitors" seems to imply that they also expect us
to pay for the booth.

Of course, I could just be completely crazy, and reading way to much
into things...if so just ignore me. ;)

Rob