2008 Nov 08 13:52
[vox-announce] SFSU Open Source Survey

LUGOD has been approached by researches from San Francisco State University who
are researching the Open Source community.

We have agreed to allow them to use LUGOD's members as their initial test
subjects.  I have gathered a count of all members on the LUGOD mailing lists
(specifically: the 195 people who either manually or were automatically
subscribed to this list, "vox-announce").

The subscribers' e-mail addresses will NOT be given to the SFSU researchers,
to keep everyone's privacy safe.  They will be picking a subset of addresses
to contact regarding the survey (e.g., they'll ask me to pick e-mail address
number 5, number 67, number 32, etc.) and I will, on behalf of LUGOD, directly
contact those members.  (Again, you will NOT be directly contacted by SFSU!)

Each survey-taker will have a unique key assigned to them, so that a follow-up
message can be sent (again, by me, Bill Kendrick of LUGOD) if necessary.

This process was discussed on LUGOD's "vox" discussion list in August
[ http://www.lugod.org/mailinglists/archives/vox/2003-08/msg00098.html ]
and no one seemed concerned with the process.

However, I will give people the chance to opt-out right now.
If you do NOT wish to be in the pool of potentially-chosen people to
participate in the SFSU Open Source survey, please e-mail me privately
(root@lugod.org) and tell me the address with which you are subscribed
to vox-announce.

Thank you!  The folks at SFSU are _immensely_ grateful for our help!

-bill!
root@lugod.org
http://www.lugod.org/

Note: A link to the archived version of this e-mail will be posted to the
LUGOD.org website's front page, in the 'News' section.